Saffron contains bio-chemical compounds such as zea-xanthin, lycopene, α- and β- carotene; these compounds function as immune modulators and protect the body.
Saffron contains carotenoids, which increase your immunity level and reduce stress caused by oxidants
Many studies have shown that Saffron has a very soothing and calming effects and in turn increases libido
Saffron is a spice derived from the flower of ‘ Crocus sativus’, more commonly known as the ‘Saffron crocus’. Saffron is a genus of the family ‘ Iridaceae’. The Saffron crocus grows about 20-30 cm and carries a maximum of four flowers, each with three vivid crimson stigmas, which form the distal end of a pistil. Together with the styles and threads, which connect the stigmas with their epiphyte, the dried stigmas are mainly used as a tastemaker and a coloring agent in various cuisines. Saffron for a long time amongst the world’s most costly spices by weight is obtained from Greece or Southwest-Asia and was first cultivated in Greece. As a genetically monomorphic clone it was gradually spread over large parts of Europe and later to parts of North-Africa, North-America and Oceania.
The stigmas of the flowers are harvested and processed by hand which is very labor intensive making Saffron one of the world’s most expensive spice. The harvest time of Saffron is from the end of October to the beginning of November. Once the rose of Saffron is opened it should be harvested the same day, before the stigmas lose their optimum aroma and color. The stigmas or threads are separated from the rest of the flower and then dried over heat to remove moisture. About 150 flowers are needed to make one gram of saffron.
Since antiquity Saffron has been known as a natural remedy for many health problems. The amount of ailments it is used to treat is extensive. It is used for the treatment of diseases like asthma, cough, stomach ailments, insomnia, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, infertility, depression, cholesterol and many other ailments. Saffron is among the richest plant sources of vitamin B2. It also contains an essential oil, safranal, and pro-vitamin A.
Some of the benefits of Saffron:
1. For hair loss: Using Saffron stimulates hair growth and prevents hair loss.
2. For face and skin: Saffron makes your skin healthy, by applying it regularly, your face and skin gets smooth and radiant.
3. For the prevention of acne: Applying a paste of Saffron on your face will help to treat acne, pimples and wrinkles.
4. As anti-oxidants: Saffron contains many antioxidants that are good for your health and lower the riskof infections.
5. For controlling the heart rate: Saffron contains Potassium which controls heart beat by allowing the heart to slow down, in other words, to protect it.
6. For blood pressure: Saffron contains many minerals which are helpful in controlling blood pressure.
7. For cancer prevention: Saffron contains bio-chemical compounds such as zea-xanthin, lycopene, α- and β- carotene; these compounds function as immune modulators and protect the body.
8. As stress reducer: Saffron contains carotenoids, which increase your immunity level and reduce stress caused by oxidants.
9. As an antidepressant: Saffron contains safranal and alfa-crocin, which help to control depression, for they act like anticonvulsants.
10. Good for detoxification: Saffron has many therapeutic applications and in detoxification of the body. It is also used in body healing, cramps, spasms and spas.
11. Good for digestion: Saffron is good for digestion thanks to the presence of multiple medicinal compounds and an anti-convulsant.
12. Good for cellular functioning: Saffron contains macro-micro nutrients, mainly potassium and magnesium, which stimulate the growth of cells and tissues. It is also recovers cells in the body .
13. For haemoglobin formation: Saffron contains iron which stimulates the haemoglobin in blood.
14. Stimulates health: Saffron contains many minerals such as cooper, potassium, calcium, manganese, iron, magnesium, zinc and selenium, all stimulating optimum health.
15. Saffron for fair complexion: Bathing with Saffron (soak saffron in water for about 20 minutes) is beneficial for your complexion.
16. For pain management: Adding Saffron to your tea or milk helps to relieve pain.
17. For toothache: Massage your teeth with saffron and honey in order to relieve toothache.